Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Home Base = Safe


Remember when you where a kid and you played tag and there would be a home base. When you were on home base you were safe and no one could get you. You could rest, catch your breath, take a little break, even taunt the others who were chasing you. I like to think of my parent's house as my home base. When I am at my home base I get away from everyone. I get to step out of my strange life that I am living right now and rest, take a breath, and feel safe. I am runing (to stick with the tag analogy) to my home base this weekend for my birthday. I can't wait. I actually think I might try to catch the earlier flight if the airline will let me. The best part is that on Saturday I will be celebrating my 25th birthday scrapbooking with my Mom and a bunch of really amazing women! So, in honor of going home on Thursday I thought I would tell you some of the reasons why I love going home.

Why I Love Home:
  • I love that my parents are always so excited for us to come home.

  • I love that as soon as I walk in the door my Dad has to show me some new toy he has.

  • I love that I see the cards on the piano that I sent them.

  • I love that my Mom is ready for me to clean the craft room/my bedroom.

  • I love our backyard and watching my Dad mow so very precisely.

  • I love taking a nap on the comfy couches in the family room as everyone else watches the movie I picked out.

  • I love seeing what new projects my Mom has crafted.

  • I love the sound of the coat closet door.

  • I love the American flag that hangs at our front door.

  • I love that I know what boards squeak on the way to the bathroom.

  • I love that my Mom let's me steal supplies from her collection.

  • I love that most everyone we know comes to the back door.
  • I love seeing Pat & Gayle's (the neighbors) surprised look as I knock on their back door.
  • I love sleeping my old bed. (Even when the vent to my room is shut and I freeze every night for a week.)
  • I love hearing my Dad get home from his shift and him quietly trying to secure the house and get ready for bed.

Oh, there are so many things to list! I just can't wait to get to my home base.

5 comments:

Mindy said...

I can't agree with you more! I love being home, it will be eight months since I have been home in August. I can't wait to be there and just lay on my parents couches. I love your parents house in Washington. It's so pretty there and I feel like I am home there too. I miss your parents! :)

Donna Chapin said...

I can't wait until you get here!! And I am so glad that you like coming here and feel "safe".
And I love it when you bring your friends home with you. I miss Mindy, Heidi, Anita and all your friends - they are all so nice.
Oh, and the crop - yeah!!!
Love you.
Mom

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I LOVE this post, Nichole! It is a scrapbook page waiting to happen. This is really good and I loved reading your list and feeling safe with you.

Aves said...

Happy ALMOST BIRTHDAY!! I wish I was just barely turning 25. Man. I am with you though, who doesn't love being home?? Its so relaxing, and it brings back such fun memories. Its great! Miss you girl!

Em Levy {orange + barrel} said...

This post makes me miss home!!! Have a safe trip home!