Lately, I have been thinking about connections. Yesterday I was in the car listening the the radio on my way back from lunch. The song talks about living in a small town and how everybody know you by your first name and know what kind of truck you drive. I learned young in my teenage years that I couldn't do anything without my parents knowing. I am grateful that I learned this lesson early it made making good choices easier and it prevented me from even trying to keep secrets from my parents. As well as recognizing how small our town is and how interconnected we all all I am amazed at the speed news travels. I remember when I was 16 I had gone to Ferndale. On my way home I had stopped at the 4 way stop that is only a block from my house. While waiting my turn my car died. It did this frequently so I didn't panic I just put it in park and restarted the car. When I got home my Dad asked why I wasn't paying attention while driving. I was so confused. He told me that he knew I was messing with the radio instead of paying attention at the 4 way stop. (the intersection is about 2 minutes from my house) The guy in the truck behind me worked with my Dad and recognized the car. When I was restarting my car he thought I was messing with the radio and thought my Dad should be aware of my lack of attention while driving and had called to inform him. I explained what really happened and joked about putting a bumper sticker on my car saying "How is my driving? Call my Dad"
Now remember that this happened 12 years ago. Cell phones weren't common, we had no facebook, no texting no tweeting, no wifi. Fast forward to today where we are all connected instantly. News travels even faster today.
Yesterday at work my coworkers got to talking about how much our community is connected. Come to find out that I have connections outside of work with several of my coworkers. We didn't have dig to far to make those connections.
I am grateful for a small town where people know me by my first name and they know what kind of truck I drive.
No comments:
Post a Comment