Thursday, September 29, 2011

Day of Service

Saturday the singles ward had our day of service. When they announced what we would be doing I got that feeling. You know... the I need to do this feeling. We went to a non profit farm where they use animals as natural therapy. They work with children, people with disabilities and veterans. They passed around a long list of things they needed done. I felt a little scared when I was one of the last to get the list and there were only about 6 names signed up. But, Saturday morning at 8am Amanda and I pulled into a very busy church parking lot! We had an amazing turn out and the people at the farm were blown away by the turn out. We weed whacked alot, we polished tack, we painted a chicken coop, we got 3000 newsletters ready to go out in the mail, we fixed two fences and filled a lot of potholes. I wish I had taken some pictures. We were supposed to leave the farm at 11:30 but we just couldn't stop. They finally had to push us out to our cars because they had a group coming in for lessons. On Sunday Brother Hatch told us that the managers were first blown away by our numbers, but they were even more amazed at the spirit that came with our group. They said we were "happy, kind, ready to work, that we had smiles on our faces and a light around us." What an amazing thing to be able to have others notice. I know that I felt uplifted from serving and being around the members of my ward. Our ward is a little odd~ like most singles wards but I do enjoy being a part of it.

No comments: