I don't really "got the blues" but I want to talk a minute about my harmonica. Last summer I went to my great Grandma's house after she passed away. My great Aunts were cleaning the house out to sell it and they told us we could come have anything that was left if we wanted it. By the time that my Mom and I went up to the house it was pretty much cleaned out. I wasn't disappointed because I didn't really "want" anything. But, I thought it might be nice to have something from my great grandparents house. Grandma McConnell's house was the gathering place. We all would cram into her house. I have a lot of good memories there. I was always scared of the basement. I think I have mentioned this before. I thought that there was a murder hiding down there. The only time I would go down there was if the other grand kids were down there. I thought that if we played that old upright piano loudly then we would be safe because if the music stopped someone would surely notice. My sister had gone up to Grandma McConnell's earlier in the day with Grandma Elsie and was thoughtful to put aside some teacups and other things that she thought I might want. When I got there I was certain that there wasn't anything left for me. But, I was brave and I went to the basement. ALONE! My Aunts had started some boxes. It was just junk stuff. Books, records, some VHS tapes, you know- junk. I was just looking for one thing, one thing that would remind me of Grandpa and Grandma. I first found some hand embroidered tea towels that I decided I needed. Then I found my Grandpa's union member card- with his signature- I thought that was neat. Then I found a old red suitcase that I thought would nicely hold my towels. I also claimed my Grandma's bowling trophy from 1985. It is totally silly. But, I love it and claimed it as my memento. I was still searching for that golden item.
Then I found my piece of gold! I found my Grandpa's harmonica. I don't remember him playing the harmonica but I am told that he did. My family laughed at my choices. But, this is where my dream began. I thought that maybe I had found my musical instrument. Maybe I could be a gifted harp player. For Christmas my parents got me "Harmonica for dummies." I read it pretty well but, so far I can only play "Goodnight Ladies" and it isn't at all good. The harp is hard to play. There are draws and blows and I then start to laugh. oh, I don't think I will be leaving a harmonica legacy. But, it is now my harp and I still really like it. I even know how to care for my harp. Did you know that you have to warm it before you begin playing? You do. Now every time I see it sitting on my dresser it reminds my of Great Grandpa and which reminds me of that old upright piano with its chipped keys and scratched wood which leads to memories of all of our family gathering together. I must say I think that the harmonica is my new favorite instrument.

1 comment:
:) My dad plays the harmonica. Do you think that is where the name "Monica" originated from? Just a thought. I enjoyed your story, reminded me of Gramma Evelyn's basement;)
Post a Comment