Sunday, August 17, 2008

Flashback to the Fair...Tradit-ion!

My whole life I have been going to the Northwest Washington Fair in Lynden. My mom told me that the first time I went to the fair I was only about 2 weeks old. I love the fair! It is the same every single year and that is something that I love about the fair. I hate change. All growing up Aunt Becky has taken us to the demolition derby. It is a family tradition. We choose our favorite cars and then cheer them on as they are demolished! It is a bit "white trashy" but it is so fun. Then I moved away to college and since I went to school in the summer I would miss fair week or if I was home I would be working all the time. I hate missing the fair. Last summer Anita (college roommate) and I were home for the fair week. All summer I had talked up "my" fair. We had even gone to the Idaho State fair. Just for a comparison. I showed Anita the normal stuff the animals and the various exhibits. Then we went to the demolition derby! It was so much fun and the best part was that we had a fairly large gathering of family with us! This year I am in Las Vegas and I missed the fair and the fun traditions that come with fair week. But I do know that if I close my eyes I can mentally walk through the grounds and it isn't like I missed anything. Plus, I saved myself from eating a whole months worth of calories! =)





3 comments:

Donna Chapin said...

I will blog my visit to the fair soon. Maybe it will update your memories through my pictures. Your Dad & I didn't go to the demolimation derby this year, we went to the "Chicago" concert instead.
Love ya.
Mom

Peter and Lesha said...

hey, thats so funny I love the fair too and Peter could care less and can't stand all the crowds but he came with me anyway cause he loves me and I told him I wanted to see Carson's reaction to the animals ( didn't really have one I mean he is 6 months old for crying out loud) but it got Peter there, we stayed for 2 hours and yes I ate a tone in that time, it was great.

Picture This said...

ok so im not gonna lie..i ate like 2 tubs of fries, a corn dog and an amazing space burger at out fair last week and i regret it now...just sayin..ps i misd the bday party and i wanna see the book..i bet its so cute! hope all is well matey! -AK