Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Say ole

I got this email today telling me to say ole to the new me. I am pretty sure they meant- say hola to the new you. It made me think of those post on Pinterest titled "you had one job."

In other news I am so grateful that I have a Dad who taught me to do basic car maintenance and how to take car of simple car problems. Tonight one of the YW had a dead battery. I know her and I know that this was the most embarrassing thing in the world for her. She just got her license yesterday so it was her first time driving herself to mutual. So when she said she left her lights on Amanda and I jumped into action. Unfortunately, I was driving my Mom's car and she doesn't have jumper cables in her car. (She will soon) but AP had some so. I talked the YW through putting her car in neutral and rolling it so we could reach the battery. Then we figured out how to pop the hood. Then I explained red on red black on black. We went though the jump start process and of course her car started right up just like we wanted. No sweat- at least for me. She was embarrassed but now she knows how to handle that situation and if she needs to she can always call me or AP.

The funny part is that one of the other YW's moms was standing out in the parking lot and she told us that we were awesome YW leaders. I just thought of it as an opportunity to show the girls the importance of being prepared because your car never needs a jump start on a sunny warm day when your homework is done. It always happens when it is freezing, you have a ton of homework and you are late to get somewhere. But if you are prepared and you have the knowledge to handle the situation or you know your resources you will be fine. Yes we could have gone inside and got her Dad or any other guy but we handled it just fine and the other YW got to learn too. Which I think is great.

No comments: