I survived girls camp! I can't even express how wonderful it was. I keep trying to find the word that best describes how amazing Girls Camp was. So many fun memories were created as well as how many great friendships were built and strengthened. The young women are truly amazing. I feel recharged from being around them. I came home thinking that all I wanted was a shower and a nap. But then when I got home I was so excited that I just couldn't sleep.
While we were at camp I laughed so much my abs hurt. I climbed the big hill so many times my thighs hurt. I had to scrub my feet so hard they hurt. My throat hurt from all of the smoke inhalation. But, I wouldn't change any of those things. We grew closer together as a group as we found joy in the journey.
We had 10 girls. I am so grateful that each one of them came. They made comments all week that it wouldn't be the same if we weren't all here. I loved that they recognized that. Amanda was a genius and she made a mailbox out of a super cute pink shoe holder. That way the girls could write little notes to each other. They loved it and I loved that seeing them write fun notes to each other.
Each day we had a wonderful speaker for girls talk. They each shared things that they wish they would have known as teenagers. I feel like the girls really were able to relate. Amanda made each of the girls a journal where they could write notes and it also served as a guide to our ward devotionals. The girls utilized them much more than I could have even imagined. The best part was at the end of the week when one of our non-member friends came and asked if she could keep her journal. Of course! We also gave her a set of scriptures and she was SO excited!! It was so exciting to see her face light up when we told her she could keep them.
Another favorite thing was bracelets we had bins of supplies so the girls could work on bracelets whenever they wanted they had enough bracelets that they could have them all the way up their arms. Anytime that had free time they could be found at our camp making bracelets. They never left our sides unless they were at certification.
Another favorite things was the food! I can't believe that I haven't mentioned the food yet. Oh man, we ate so good! We used our brand new dutch ovens and we loved it! We made BBQ ribs, corn on the cob, watermelon and yummy beans (even if they are vegetarian because we ran out of time) Then we made carnitas with corn tortillas, corn, fresh guacamole (made by one of the YW that graduated this year and wasn't able to come to camp) and yummy fresh homemade pico de gallo. We ate like queens!
I could go on and on about camp but truthfully we had the best girls ever. They all were great to each other. They never left anyone out. They were helpful, and they went to sleep every night. I went to check the first night to see if they needed anything and it was 10:30 and they all were totally zonked. The second night it was 11 and again all zonked. The third night they were a little wired but that might have been because we were pushing the smores.
On a more personal note. I feel accomplished. Amanda and I were able to load the trailer and get everything tied down. We might have had to stop and put one strap back on, but that could happen to anyone. We might have forgotten to turn on the correct road but no problem. I was able to pull into a driveway and Amanda guided me as I backed the trailer out (with a large audience) As I pulled in I realized that the owners of the home were sitting out on the porch watching as I backed to trailer around their corner. Luckily, they didn't chase us down. Once we made it out we honked our horn and waved and they all waved back. (whew) Also, we were master chefs when it came to the dutch ovens. Seriously, such good food. I also feel so grateful that I was able to go to camp with such wonderful young women. There is a spirit at camp and I am so grateful to feel that spirit. I know that Heavenly Father loves each one of us. I know that I am a daughter of God and I know that we are here on earth for a purpose.
No comments:
Post a Comment