Thursday, March 24, 2011

Water

Today when I drank water. I was grateful. Last night I went to listen to a Holocaust Survivor speak. Mrs. Ban spoke about her experience at Aushwitz. She was 19 when she was sent to the prison camp. She was separated from her family. Listening to her speak pulled at my heart. I kept thinking how could anyone survive such terrible treatment? She spoke of the awful smells, the terrible treatment from the soldiers and the lack of food, the unsanitary conditions. I can't even try to imagine. She said that when she tells of her story the smells come back to her. When she talks about how she didn't have water she gets thirsty. She paused when she started to talk about how she didn't have a drop of water for 4 months to take two big drinks. She said that nothing tastes better to her than a cold glass of water. If water ever needed a spokesperson she would be a wonderful person for the job.

As I listened I couldn't help but feel that her love for life is what got her through. I can't help but be reminded to love my life and to live it.

No comments: