Did you know that Friday is Johnny Appleseed day? It is. Did you know that there really is a Johnny Appleseed? There is. His real name was John Chapman he was born in 1774 and he introduced apple trees to Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana. After doing a little research I found that he was a very kind and giving man. He was also a missionary. He was known for planting nurseries not orchards and he would take payment in many different forms and if the payment was never received he didn't press for it. He would dress in the worst of the donated clothes that he received and give the good clothes away. He cared very deeply for the animals.
What you may not know is that at Meridian in 6th grade you get to go to camp for a whole week. It is called Outdoor Ed. Before every meal you stand in lines according to your cabin and the leaders pick who gets to go in to the mess hall first to eat. We always tried to come up with ways to get picked first. Like singing songs or doing cheers for the camp leaders. But, after you got into the mess hall you had to wait until everyone was in and then we would all stand at our tables and sing the Johnny Appleseed song. I love this song and I have been humming it all day in preparation for Johnny Appleseed Day. I was going to post this on Friday but I will be in OR and I figure this way everyone can really prepare for such a special day. "The Lord is good to me..."
1 comment:
Nicole, that was priceless! Thanks for starting my day off perfectly.
Love,
Susan
Post a Comment