Sunday, March 6, 2011

The code

Did you know that pirates follow a code? They do. They would use the code to govern themselves. Remember in Pirates 3 as the brethren court are all sitting around the table and they begin to fight over what they are to do. They pull out a VERY large book which hold the pirate code. After it is read they all choose to follow the code. They respect the code. Perhaps, this is one of the things I have in common and like about pirates.

This last week I received an email from BYU-I requesting that I take a survey. It was mostly questions about what I was doing with my degree but there were a few questions that got me thinking. Then as I have been watching the news I saw this uproar about this guy from the BYU basketball team that didn't follow the code. I don't follow basketball and I couldn't tell you the kids name but as I read on MSN and watched on the news the debates that took place on whether or not BYU did the right thing. I couldn't help but think of the honor code that I was taught to live. Yes, I signed a contract stating that I would follow the honor code as I attended BYU-I. Yes, some might think it is a high standard. But, I had been taught this standard my whole life. It was already a part of me. I know that I complained about the curfew at school, but, by the time I graduated I knew that it was in place for a purpose. It was in place for a reason as I have graduated and moved on with my life that code still is a part of me. I still hold myself to that standard and I think that I am a better person because of the Honor Code I am grateful for those who have kept the standard and haven't allowed it to waver or change just because it might be "old fashioned." I never thought I would be able to compare pirates and the honor code. As, Pintel says in Pirates after Elizabeth requests parlay. "we must honor the code"

"We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men...If there is anything virtuous, lovely or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things." (13th Article of Faith)