Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Great Grandma

I received a phone call from my Mom this morning. It was 9:30 am on a Sunday. My Mom knows I have church at 1:30 pm and that I closed at work last night. So, when I heard my phone ring and saw it was home calling. I knew that my Mom was calling to tell me that Grandma passed away. This is my Great Grandma Mina. She was 91. I consider myself the luckiest girl to have had such a good relationship with my Great Grandma. I always felt a little pride when I explained to people that I still had a Great Grandma and until about 4 years ago I didn't have just one I had two. My Great Grandma always offered a cup of coffee and some cookies when we would come visit. She loved to read the tabloids. She was always up on the latest news especially the gory details. I loved being at her house especially when it was full of family. But, her basement scared me. The only way I would go down there was if there were other kids down there. Usually I would know it was safe if I could hear the pounding of the old piano. Grandma's house is the house that we gathered as a family at. We would all squeeze in and laugh and eat. Often we would have so many family members that we would spill out to the sundeck. I love sitting on the floor in the cramped living room with all of my extended family. Last time we were all together we were at a hotel event room. We were celebrating Grandma's 90th birthday. The room was packed and I remember looking over at Grandma when it was noisy and busy and she had a tired smile on her face. I hope that she was thinking of the legacy that she has created. I hope that she knows how loved she is and how grateful we are to have such a loving matriarch. I am grateful to know that there is a life after this one and the families are eternal. I can imagine all of the members of our family that have gone before her waiting to greet her. I am sure it was a wonderful reunion.

2 comments:

Donna Chapin said...

What a great tribute to Grandma. I have many of the same memories. The picture of you and Grandma is so special. Can I please have a copy of it?
Love you.

Darla said...

Sorry to hear about this Nichole. Hold her memory close, it will get you thru the tough times...

Thinking of you and your family ...