Do you know about hot cross buns? All I knew was that they are sold around Easter time. I knew they must have a history. I knew that there was the song Hot Cross Buns. I learned how to play it on a recorder. I was curious so I did some research. HCB's are a spiced, sweet bun that have raisins or currants and is marked with an icing cross on top. I wasn't wrong about them being sold around Easter they are typically eaten on Good Friday as a symbol of the Crucifixion. The part that I found interesting was the superstitions.
Sharing a hot cross bun with another is supposed to ensure friendship throughout the coming year, particularly if "Half for you and half for me, Between us two shall goodwill be" is said at the time. Because of the cross on the buns, some say they should be kissed before being eaten. If taken on a sea voyage, hot cross buns are said to protect against shipwreck. If hung in the kitchen, they are said to protect against fires and ensure that all breads turn out perfectly. The hanging bun is replaced each year.
After reading up on HCB's I actually considered making some. Instead to all my friends- How about we skip the eating a HCB and just keep up the goodwill.
1 comment:
HCB's saved our lives in Australia last year. The hotels CHARGED $15 PER PERSON for the continental breakfast (in the USA it's free) so after the first day we discovered HCB's sold 6 to package for $5 in every bakery. That's what we ate for breakfast the rest of our 2 weeks in Australia. A package would last 3 days!
Post a Comment