Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Dirt

When you live in an apartment you don't have a yard. Which makes gardening kind of tricky. The thing I didn't realize is that when you live in an apartment and you need to re pot your indoor plants your places to do this are limited. Especially when it is windy out and you don't want to get dirt in your face. So, the other day I went to my local Wal-mart to buy some dirt. Did you know they don't sell regular dirt? At least not that I understood. I went to the garden section looking for dirt. I learned it isn't called dirt. It is called potting soil and it comes in a variety of flavors. There are organic types, miracle grow kinds, ones with peat moss(?), ones for flowers, ones with compost, really the list is surprisingly long. All I wanted was dirt and I really didn't need 20 lbs of it. I will be the first to admit I am not a gardener. I mean- I mowed my Grandma's lawn in middle school and high school and by "I mowed" I mean my dad mowed and I would mostly just visit with my Grandma while he mowed. But, I think it kind of counts for gardening. My other experience with gardening is from several summers ago I claimed one of the tomato plants my dad planted as mine. It was a yellow pear tomato plant and I just liked it. Shockingly, the plant went crazy with tomatoes and fell over and rooted itself into the ground. We had millions of little yellow tomatoes.

So, here is the point of my story. A while ago I was at work and they had two little plants that were marked down to 75 cents each. I thought. I have to buy them even if they die they can't be separated and they are only 75 cents. So, they came home. I named them Jack and Jill. I let them live in their tiny pots for months. I had intended to re pot them I just kept forgetting to buy dirt and pots. Well, this last week they both got new homes. Like I said it was windy outside so I gardened indoors. I happy to report they are thriving and love there new homes. I choose green pots because I thought it might inspire my lil plants to stay green.

2 comments:

ME said...

baha. I love Jack and Jill and I am glad to see they are happy as can be! :)

Meagan said...

That is so you, Nicole. :) Oh, how I MISS YOU. Love the name tags you made for them. Love the new pots.