Sunday, July 12, 2009

I know I'm not trendy (Warning long rambly post)

I know I am not a trendy person. I will never be the one to start a fad. Nor can I easily pull off a new trend. It just doesn't work for me. I want to stick to things that I know work. So, when the whole world went gaga over this Harry Potter guy I said "no. It isn't for me and I won't like it and I will never read his books. Nor will I watch his movies." Little did I know that Harry would sneak into my life a little at a time. As Harry has been around I have found myself accepting him. He is a little like leggings. At first when leggings were reintroduced to me as an adult I thought nope. Not for me not going to do it. Slowly, as they have hung around for a while I am understanding them more and I actually bought a pair. I haven't bought Harry Potter. But, slowly my dearest "bestie" (another trendy thing I won't do- call Heidi my 'bestie") has shared this Harry trend with me. It all started a with the 5th movie. Not a typical point to start something but hey if it works. Heidi wanted to see the 5th movie and we were the only ones living in Rexburg during the 8 week break. So, she being a poor college student was desperate enough to offer to pay for my ticket so I would go with her. I agreed but not with my full heart. Heidi realizing that I wasn't knowledgable about this trend offered to watch the other movies with me so I would know what was going on. She borrowed them from her boss so we could watch them. I still wasn't sure I wanted to board the Hogwart's Express. But, one boring afternoon. I found myself alone on my day off and decided what the heck I will just watch the first one. Well, it turned into "Nicole's Day of Harry Watching." I watched them all. When Heidi got home I was full of questions. Which she still won't tell me all of the answers. Fast forward to May 2009. I realize a new harry is coming. Heidi suggests I read the books. I turn her down. She suggests again. I finally say ok. Heidi buys the books one by one as I make my way through them (she says she wanted to own them I think she just wanted me to read.) Finally, I get to book 5. (remember I know what is happening thus far. I have seen the movies.) Suddenly, I have panic. I have to finish book 6 before July 15th. When did this happen? When did I suddenly join a trend. I am suddenly looking forward to the opening of a Harry Potter. I guess technically it isn't a trend anymore because it has been around so long. I guess now it a norm. So, technically I am still not trendy...

p.s. I still have 3 days to get through the 6th book. Actually, a couple more than 3 because I don't have a day off until next saturday so I actually am giving myself 6 days. I can do it. Can't I?

3 comments:

Mindy said...

That was the most "trendious" post I ever read! :) YES you can do it! We tried to read the harry potter books, we stopped at #4. I got confused, not hard to do and I gave up. Good luck! Miss you chicken head :)

Amanda said...

i've gotten michelle hooked on the movies but still working on getting her to read the books. i have them all but she won't. you should convince her too!

Aves said...

HAHA! I am like you, I totally wasn't into it until I watched the first movie (I still haven't read the books) but I have to say I am entertained and do enjoy the movies. I would read the books if I had them. I am really excited about the movie coming out! If we were closer we'd be going to the movie together!