I know that baby ducks aren't called "ducklets" but I think that they should be. Today I had a true- "Make Way for Duckling" moment. Perhaps you don't remember this book. Well, I had to look it up but I did remember that a policeman stopped traffic to allow the ducklings to cross. Mrs. Mallard is the momma duck and she had eight ducklings named Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Ouack, Pack, and Quack. Being that I showed most of my coworkers my mini documentry I thought I should share it here as well. Today, I was pulling into the driveway at work as my friend was pulling out she was frantically pointing over at the neighboring driveway. This is what I saw... Mrs. Mallard and her ducklings. One problem there were only 7 ducklets. Someone was missing.
I watched Mrs. Mallard as she called to her lost ducklet. Then I spotted him. He was all the way across the driveway. He was quacking for his momma.
She patiently waited for him to come across the driveway. (I was watching for cars. So, I think I am the Policeman in the story) When he would stop coming to her she would remind him to hurry up.
He is almost there...
He finally made it to his waiting family and it was time to continue on.
Mrs. Mallard led them safely over to the curb out of the path of traffic.
Once she knew there wasn't any traffic they cut across the parking spaces.
Mrs. Mallard showed them how to hop onto the sidewalk. Only two of the ducklets made it by hopping. The other six had to use the handicap ramp. It was the cutest thing watching how patient Mrs. Mallard was. I could almost understand what she was saying when she noticed that one of her babies was missing. She was quacking but I know she was saying. "where are you little one? Hurry up, stick with the group." Watching the Mallard family made my afternoon great and I don't even like birds.








1 comment:
Oh Nicole, I'm sooooooo glad you had your camera so i could see this, too. How cool. How very cool.
I can see how this would make your day.
Post a Comment