Monday, January 3, 2011

Sunbeams and Gummy Letters

When I moved back to Washington in May maybe June I can't remember I was asked to teach the Sunbeam class at Church. They are the three year olds. At first I wasn't so excited. 6 kids to 1 me didn't seem at all fair. Starting off we had a few rough weeks. I didn't know the kids and more importantly they didn't know me. But, very soon we got in a rhythm. I learned about them and they learned about me. They learned that if they were reverent, stayed in their seats, didn't run in the halls and most important didn't scream in the bathroom they would get A gummy letter. Not a gummy bear- A gummy letter. Not a couple gummy letters just A gummy letter- as in 1. I learned this from my friend Heidi who I know rewarded her students with A M&M not even a regular M&M but a mini M&M. At first I didn't think it would work. Really just one letter and they would do what I asked? Well, it worked. Soon, I had to hold them accountable. If they truly didn't earn their GL's they didn't get them. They soon would be reminding each other to follow Teacher Chapin's rules. Yep, sometimes they would get a little confused and call me Teacher Chapin instead of Sister Chapin when this would happen we would all break into fits of laughter. After 6 months of teaching these now 4 year olds. Don't dare call them 3. I looked forward to seeing my kids each week. I had a few that would find me after Sacrament to walk with me; not their parents. I was kind of like the Pipe Piper of the Sunbeams as I lead them down to the Primary room. Knowing that with a new year comes new classes. I started to prepare them that in a few weeks they would get a new teacher. I told them that their new teacher would be so great. That they wouldn't be the littlest in Primary anymore. That they would have to show they new kids how to act. Well, Yesterday was the first week of our new class. After Sacrament my little friend Miss Francessca came and found me. I reminded her that she would have a new teacher she said she knew. She just wanted to walk with me. So, we walked to Primary. Then when we got to the Primary room she informed me that we couldn't sit by each other cuz her and the other kids had to go to there new class. Oh, I was so proud. They even showed the new Sunbeams were they had to sit. Then we had a little glitch. My 4 year olds didn't want to go with the new teacher. After I told them they would have fun they all went. My new three year olds I think were in shock and came with me out of fear. We only had tears from one kid and that wasn't even to bad. The other two just sat there with wide eyes. I don't think they knew what was happening. It was a really quiet class. But we survived. I taught them to play Simon Says and Reverent Red Light Green Light. (45 minutes is a long time when the lesson only takes about 2 mins) I haven't introduced GL's yet but I am sure they will be my secret weapon once this new bunch gets comfortable. The best part of yesterday. Was when the now CTR 4 class saw me in the hall and they all showed me there new CTR rings and told me how great being a CTR 4 was, only thing they didn't like. No Gummy letters in CTR 4. oops.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Nicole! I love this story! And how could they not all love you. You would be the greatest teacher ever!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I would have loved you as my primary teacher. And just perhaps I may have gone to the ends of the earth to get a gummy letter from you.

Mindy said...

You have to tell me more about these GL's! I think it's a great idea. You amaze me Nicoleee a.k.a. spaghetti head

Heidi said...

You are a fabulous teacher, those kids are lucky to have you. And a little bribery... I mean good teaching never hurt anyone. You should try skittles, they work great too. But not a full skittle that is just wasteful. I break off little pieces and it works just as well and more cost effective.