Saturday, December 20, 2008

It is called an "Ice Scrapper."

So, when I moved to Las Vegas Aunt Becky and Uncle Bob laughed at my ice scrapper. I didn't want to get rid of it because you never know. So I stowed it in my trunk. I never imagined that I would actually use it down here.

When I went to my car the other night I saw a white truck parked next to my car which made me a little uneasy. But I knew that the night freight guy was watching from the front door of the store so if it was a "perp" in the truck Brian would come to my rescue. I realized that it wasn't a "perp" it was the closing checker. He was trying to thaw out his windshield. He rolled down the window and asked if I had a towel or a napkin. I was a little confused. Why would I need a napkin? He said to wipe off my window. I laughed as I pulled out my ice scrapper and quickly and efficiently scrapped my window. He was amazed that I had such a professional tool and that I knew how to work it so quickly. I explained to him as I handed him the ice scrapper that when it is -20 you have to move quickly.

Now fast forward to the next day...

"What do you do when your windshield is all icy?" Yes, one of my fellow managers at work asked me this. I laughed. She was serious. Dead serious. She told me that she almost died last night in her way home from work. She tried to turn on the air in her car to melt the ice and when that went badly making everything foggy she quickly pulled off to the side of the road. She looked for a napkin to wipe the ice off of her windshield when she couldn't find one in her car. She thought to use her knit hat. Yes, she thought she would be able to wipe her icy windshield clean with a hat. I am hysterically laughing. I asked "Why not just scrape your window?" She looked at me like I was crazy and said "how?" I explained what an ice scrapper was. If you have never described an ice scrapper and how to use it is much harder than it would seem. She was amazed that there is a tool made for this car problem. She asked "where do I get one of those?" I was shocked! I couldn't believe that she had never received a free scrapper from her insurance agent or wherever they always seem to come from. When she still couldn't fathom what it would look like I dragged her out to my car to show her the famous ice scrapper. It was great to see the how a simple ice scrapper could be such a "fascinating cultural experience" for this lady.


4 comments:

Amanda said...

hahah that is so funny nicole! maybe i'll send you a box full of ice scrapers for you to hand out to your friends. my friend was in Vegas for a wedding last week and she was like are you kidding me? i just left this stuff. i guess vegas doesn't get much snow. stay warm!

Aves said...

Now that is funny crap... wow... I guess when you've lived in Idaho or Utah or any other place where there is some form or precipitation you just know these things. HAHA, funny stuff :)

Peter and Lesha said...

not sure if I feel bad for you since you live in sunny vegas! hahaha just kidding yeah it's miserable here I am sure I will be snow bound for a while it might be ok but with a 10 month old it's hard to find ways to entertain him in a 800 sq foot apt. miss ya

The Salisbury's said...

If ice scrapper are not around they could always use an credit card (I'm sure they have heard of those). So funny.