Saturday, March 29, 2014

the end and the beginning

 
True story. I quit my job at Walgreens. I was there for 4 years. I enjoyed the opportunity I had to learn something totally new to me. But, after ALL the changes I had seen happen in four fairly short years it was high time for me to get out. I realized about 11 months ago I needed to find something new. So, I started looking for a new job. The "W" allowed me to learn that I am not to afraid of math to work with Accounts Receivable. I learned that although I am not a math genius I can do it. With that in mind I would like to write a letter to Mr. Serfozo my high school math teacher who kicked me out of Math my senior year and told me to go find something more productive to do with my time and then at graduation he told me to marry rich. (gee thanks)
 
Mr. Serfozo,
Thanks for kicking me out of your math class my senior year. You clearly could tell that me sitting in your class wasn't going to help my GPA. So, truthfully you kicking me out of your class and telling me to go find something more productive with my time allowed me to keep a good enough GPA to get into college. Which then made me frightened to ever take any business class because I knew I would have to take some sort of math, Which I knew I was bad at. Which lead me to take Psychology classes because they required very little math. Which lead me to work as a Front End manager of a Grocery store, where I learned that I can do math (at least the basic adding and subtracting kind). Which then gave me experience to work in a billing department where I was able to gain even more experience balancing accounts and to find out that I actually am pretty good at. Which allowed me to discover "hey, I can do anything if I put my mind to it." So, with that thank you for kicking me out of your class and allowing me to go be the TA for an art class. That opportunity has blessed my life.
Your former student,
Nicole
 
My last day at "W" was great. Probably because AP and I started it by going to Seminary and delivering some cereal-ously yummy breakfast. Here is Paul the seminary teacher. He is a great teacher and I know that the youth love him. After waiting, and waiting we finally had a few youth show up for seminary.
Since I was already ready for the day I went to work extra early with the thought that I could sneak out early. Rules barely apply when you are quitting. So, I snapped a selfie before anyone got there.
 
 My coworkers celebrated me leaving with one of the biggest send off parties we have ever had. People need food when they are grieving. They really will be missing me at least that is what I am telling myself. After the party I had already hit my 40 for the week so I was out.
 HASTA LA PASTA Walgreens.
Peace out. I really had the urge to yell this as my final farewell... But, I held it in. I felt bad people were crying as I hugged them goodbye. So, I did my best acting. I think I had them convinced I was sad to be leaving. Truthfully, I was emotionless. I appreciate what they did as a going away and I will miss my coworkers. But, I was ready to move on. No separation anxiety for me. Just a real sense of relief. Like I said the last 11 months or so have been major stress.

After work I headed up to the church to pop popcorn and get the refreshments ready for our Ward talent show. It was a pretty good show. We have very talented youth. I loved the little girl group. They sang "let it go" from Frozen. It was adorable. They nailed it! I am so glad AP and I didn't do our rendition because the little girls rocked it.
Monday morning was my first day at the new job. I am working at Westower Communications. I am the Office Manager. I haven't exactly narrowed down what exactly I do. But, I can tell you that we build cell towers all over the US and Canada. Along with managing the office I get to put my Account Receivable skills to use. I am very grateful that I was able to learn all that I did at "W" because it is already proven very useful.  
This is what my brain felt like after the first day. My mind was whirling. Even though I know I can do everything that they asked I was a useless mush brain after work on Monday.
 
But, after a full week. I think I am getting it. I really like the people I work with. My manager told me several times on Friday that I was catching on and I was doing great. So, that feels good. The company seems to be very good to the employees. I even got a set of 10 highlighters! 10! I didn't even know that highlighters could come in 10 different colors.  
 

No comments: