Thursday, June 30, 2011

4th thoughts


4th of July 2006-
I might have made all of my roommates take their pic in front of our flag also.



Every Monday we receive an email from the CEO of Walgreens he usually touches on important issues or holidays that are coming up. He reminds us that what we do is important and why we do our jobs. A couple weeks ago he talked about his role as a father and how being a father has helped him in his career. This morning he talked about the 4th of July and how the 4th of July brings communities together. Everyone becomes involved in parades, BBQs and firework displays. You see flags in yards on t-shirts and in store fronts. I thought the email was a very good reminder of what this day is all about. Celebrating freedom. With liberty and democracy being fought for all around the globe, freedom is something we can't take for granted. My heart swelled when I read his email but then I got another email from a co-worker she asked if I had read the weekly email and then explained how her heart had swelled and she had become teary eyed reading it. She then thought of me. She knew I had the same feelings of love for my country and the blessings that come from living here. I know that our country has faults but if more people could take pride in the good we might be a little better off.
Later I received another email from my co-worker it was lengthy but she drew a beautiful picture of all that we do have and how great it is that we have the oppurtunity to live the "American Dream." I asked her if I could share her email she thought I was joking but I really enjoyed it and I thought you might too.


This weekend was really nice for our family. We both have jobs and reasonable security right now, something I know alot of people are struggling with. We were able to put on a really fun summer party for my daughter and her friends. The parents kept calling or biking by to see if the kids were ready to go home at 5, when the party ended, but it went on until 8:30! Then most of the parents came for an impromptu 'stone soup' bbq potluck, everyone ck'd their freezers and we all cooked at my house and had a wonderful time. The kids played until dark, feeling safe.

Then we all went inside. The youngers played in the playroom, the older kids did some gaming in another and upstairs a movie was put in. We tucked a pile of kids into beds and sofas w/ these sun kissed faces, curly dried hair from swimming and icecream bar evidence on a number of faces while the adults stayed up and played the most fun game of poker until THREE a.m.

I know that may not mean much to alot of people. But for me, I kept finding myself looking out at my patio full of relaxing happy people and the kids having a great time and women sharing in my kitchen and then the laughter at poker and those babies all sleeping softly....I'm so blessed. What I had last nite millions in the world are dreaming of. That's all they want. Peace, a full tummy, safe children, shelter and the blessing of laughing friends and family. I think it's easy to take it for granted but it was hard won and I can't help but honor that in my heart. I'm fortunate too that my husband feels this way too. He kept looking across at me and smiling from the grill!

She is right we are blessed to have peace, a full tummy, safe children, shelter and the blessings of laughing friends and family. Happy 4th of July!

No comments: