Sunday, September 30, 2012

Character

Today I attended a Celebration of Life for a family friend. Steven had been fighting Colon Cancer for several years. Our family has know Steven's family for a long time. We have crashed many family parties, gone camping together, and went to sporting events with his family. They are a part of our lives. We love them. Tonight as I attended this Celebration of Life I was touched by how Steven's character was the theme of the memorial. He was a kind, gentle, fun loving man. He was a huge part of the community. He was active in High School football and wrestling and after college he came back and coached. He touched so many people in our community. I was older than Steven in school but when you attend a small school you get to know the people in all the grades. You know your classmates character. Steven's was a big State Champion football player and wrestler but that wasn't all he was.

After sitting in an auditorium overflowing with people tonight. I think that the common thought was that Steven was a friend. He made everyone around him feel important. Steven was an example to me. He taught me that we should keep a positive attitude, take care of those around you, and have fun.

1 comment:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

So sorry you lost a friend, so glad he was such a good one to so many. You have already imitated his good friendship qualities. That is something I admire in you.