Monday, December 5, 2011

Note to Self

I think that I mentioned that I have a new calling. I am working with the Young Women in my parent's ward. It is great. I am a Young Women Specialist which essentially means I get to go to activities and do the fun stuff with the girls but I still attend the Young Single Adult ward. I love it. I didn't know that the Family wards could use people from the Single Adult ward but they can! On Saturday the youth had a temple trip planned so of course I got to go along with them. It is a whole different experience to go as a leader. We have exceptional girls and I loved seeing them excited to be at the temple and remembering past trips. Of course we attend the Vancouver temple up in Canada. So, we have notes from the parents stating that it is ok to take their child across the border. I learned a new meaning of the saying "note to self" this trip. Mind you I have been crossing the border my whole life and I don't ever remember being questioned if I had permission to cross the border. Even when I was really little and I would go on trips with my Aunt and Uncle. Well, Saturday we pulled up to the booth. The driver rolled down his window and like always they asked us to open the side door of the van which I did. We handed our passports, enhanced driver's license, and Nexus Cards. He then glanced into the van and asked for our notes. One girl had hers paper clipped to her passport the other forgot to pass her note up so she dug around and then handed it to me so I handed it to the officer. He then just stared at us and said "I need all the notes" We thought he had missed the one in the passport. So, the driver said "oh, it is inside the passport." The officer then insisted he was missing a note. That is when I realized he was staring at me. So, I looked up at him and said "you want a note from me??" he said "yes" A little confused I said "I'm an Adult" The officer then looked at my license back up at me and responded with "well, I guess 28 would qualify" So, from now on I am going to make sure I always carry "a note to self." I have always gotten that I looked younger than I am but usually it is only a couple years off not a decade. To think that I was just worrying about wrinkles and gray hairs last week.

No comments: